Thursday, September 3, 2009

We're back home!

Hello bl0g friends~
Jeff's total knee replacement surgery was Friday, Aug. 28th. Ever since then, I have pretty much been staying at the VA hospital in a recliner in his room.
I did come back home 3 times for showers, laundry, clean clothes, etc though.
His surgery went just fine and his recovery is progressing much faster than I ever expected. This was his 6th surgery on his right knee and we hope it will be the last one for a long, long time.
He is back home now and will start 4 weeks of out-patient physical therapy tomorrow.

This is the motto of our VA hospital and they do a great job of just that.
So many Veterans depend on the medical care received there. You hear lots of horror stories on the news about bad care but I did not see any deficiencies at the Oklahoma City VA hospital.
Jeff had many medical people caring for him. They all seemed to enjoy their jobs and took great effort to care for their patients.

busy, busy hospital entrance


lots of flags flying outside the entrance, and if you look close on the right edge, you can see the Oklahoma State Capital building with its dome top.
this is really pretty sight in real life - my photography does not do it justice.


Jeff, on the second day after surgery


His knee - pretty impressive incision, huh? It is 9 inches long, closed with 34 staples.
For now, Jeff and I are both so happy he is recovering and that we are back home.
I'll be back to my normal blog topics - cooking, crafts, sewing, spending wisely soon.

11 comments:

  1. Ewwwwwwww. :) You may should explain why his knee says "Yes" though. - Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That sure is a lot of surgerys for one person to have! Glad you two are back home and this surgery went well. Wishing your husband a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you are both back home and that he is doing so well. My goodness that is a long incision!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda,
    I so happy all went well. I put Jeff in our prayer book at church. Dave has a scar like that up his tummy. They make a good match. LOL I look forward to catching up with you when you have time to post. Please email me your address. I have some snail mail to send you.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. That incision makes my knee hurt!

    Glad you're back home...there's no place like home, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that everything went well, and that you're both back home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see he made sure that they cut into the right leg. ; ) I'm glad he's on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad everything is okay! His smile says it all. I imagine home looked pretty darned good after that hospital chair!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff's knee looks great! I had a right knee total replacement on March 30 and I was outside trimming shrubs today. The first two months are a little tough but if he exercises and does what the doctor says he should get along great.

    Take care of you too,
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh bless his heart!! I hope he continues healing quickly and able to use it just fine!

    I'm trying to get back to regular blogging and visiting. The summer has been quite busy. I'm SO ready for fall and winter so I can get back to some crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AAAHHHHHH! Okay that was not a nice photo to see after eating dinner...lol. I am however glad things went well for him with the surgery!
    Tell him get well soon from me.

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.