Thursday, May 31, 2007

Kitchen doings

I really don't enjoy shopping but I do like fresh vegetables and fruits. Here are some of the things I have learned in my 27+ years of homemaking so we can eat healthy and still do it on a reasonable budget. I like to keep things that will spoil where I can see them so I will remember to cook with them. We eat lots of onions, I think most every main dish I cook uses at least one chopped onion. The red onions are for salad. We have mostly been eating brown russet potatoes so the little red ones will be a nice change.
If the vegetables are fresh when you buy them, they will keep longer in your fridge. When I went to Wal-mart yesterday, their produce did not look as good as usual and I did not buy any there. So today I went to another store, IGA. I was pleasantly surprised to find not only fresher produce but that was also very reasonably priced. I bought 2 kinds of leaf lettuce and Romaine. They were de-cored, then washed and dried. Most all vegetables get stored in Tupperware or other plastic containers with the lids on tight.
Inside the fridge.
Just in case you think I sound so very healthy, this is the 10 pound slab of bacon I bought at IGA. Yes, it is a LOT of bacon. We only eat cooked breakfast on weekends and when we have house guests so I am not sure why I thought this looked like such a good purchase. I did repackage it and put it in the freezer.


1 comment:

  1. Yum! W3e love bacon on the weekends, too. Hey, it freezes well and you won't run out for awhile. :)

    Cheers! LA

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.