Sunday, September 7, 2008

Frugal Family of Five Recipe

I was wondering what we were going to have for lunch on Saturday while I browsed some blogs. Lucky for me, I found the perfect recipe for a quick, easy, and low cost at Frugal Family of Five
Karen writes this new blog.
I did change up her recipe a bit. I added a sauted onion, cut the chicken into bite size pieces, added some fresh corn and just sprinkled the cheese on top instead of stirring it into the recipe.
We thought the dish was really good, Thanks Karen!

Spicy Chicken and Rice

SERVES 4

  • 1 lb chicken tenders, raw
  • 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 (10 ounce) can rotel (Rotel is the brand name for canned tomatoes and chilis)
  • 1 cup white rice, uncooked
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • Garlic Powder
  • salt & pepper
  1. Using a large, deep skillet with a cover pour can of chicken broth and can of rotel into skillet.
  2. Stir in cup of rice.
  3. Lay chicken tenders on top of rice and sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper. Go easy on the pepper if you don't like it too hot because the Rotel has a little kick to it.
  4. Cover and cook over medium high heat for 20 minutes or until chicken is opaque.
  5. Remove from heat and sprinkle with the cheese. Stir lightly until cheese melts slightly.
  6. Serve with whatever green you have on hand.

3 comments:

  1. That recipe looks quick and easy, exactly the kind of recipe I look for. I just recently started using Rotel tomatoes but they're a little too spicy for my mom. I've been using the original ones -- I may have to try the mild ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just might have to add this into my weekly meal plan. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edie, yes, Rotels are pretty spicy, but if you like milder ones, just buy the mild version. They are still good.
    I think salsa of your choice could also be substituted for the Rotels very successfully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.