Friday, February 22, 2008

Year of Savings - skip the dry cleaners




I sometimes wear knit tops but I prefer to wear blouses made of natural fabrics. They usually need a little pressing after laundering. I have tried using a dry cleaner but I don't like that stiff starch and I really don't like the cost.
I usually just press a weeks worth of blouses at a time. I watched the clocked while I ironed today and it took just 20 minutes to iron 6 blouses. I use as electric steam iron and Faultless spray starch.
When my last can of Faultless runs out, I plan on trying a homemade spray starch I saw demonstrated on HGTV's Simply Quilts.

Homemade Spray Starch: Boil 1 quart of water. Dissolve 4 tablespoons of liquid starch into 2 cups of cold water; add to boiling water and return to a boil, then remove from heat immediately; add 2 more cups of cold water. Starch should be clear and not milky. Place it in a mist spray bottle (figure B) and store in the refrigerator. This is extremely cost-effective--only 2 cents a quart. Clean the iron with a wet terry towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.