Sunday, December 9, 2007

Cookie Exchange?

My cookies are baked and the recipes printed but we are having an ice storm and the roads are getting more treacherous by the minute. The cookie exchange is supposed to be this afternoon at my friend, Tammy's home in the country but I am afraid it will have to be postponed.
I baked thumbprint cookies to take.I have baked this recipe so many times. I baked them for lots of wedding showers back in my home town. I entered them in 3 contests when I was growing up. And won 2 of them! The frosting always got colored to match the event, pink and green for Christmas, or the bride's colors for wedding showers.
I left the frosting white for the first time ever on this batch. White seems to be a popular Christmas decorating color this year and I like them white.
It looks like this batch will be put in the freezer for now. I did keep out several for Jeff and I snack on. :)
Thumbprint Cookies
By Betty Crocker and Rhonda

½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup shortening
½ cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, separated
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
scant cup of finely chopped pecans

Mix brown sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg yolks. Stir in flour and salt until blended. (I usually make the dough ahead and let it chill for a day or two)
Shape into 1 inch balls.
Beat egg white slightly. Dip each ball into the egg white and then dip each into chopped pecans. Place about 2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Press a finger deeply into the center of each. ( I use my pointer finger, it works better than my thumb)
Bake at 350 degrees from about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Fill with frosting. Dip frosting top into more chopped pecans or shredded coconut if desired.

Creamy Vanilla Frosting

3 Cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
about 2 tablespoons milk ( start with 1 ½ T)
food coloring if desired
Mix all ingredients. (You can do it by hand but I prefer a mixer.)
Add more milk a scant teaspoon full at a time until the frosting is smooth and soft consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.