Saturday, March 15, 2008

National Quilt Day

Today is National Quilt Day.
I thought you all would like to see quilts from my family. My mother made these wall quilts, with Sunbonnet Sue and Sam. Mom prefers to make small quilts but has made a number a full size quilts too.
The blue and white Irish Chain was made by my fraternal great grandmother, The pink and white cross-stitch was made by my maternal grandmother. I made the scrap jewel box quilt on the back, sorry it is hard to see, and was the first bed size hand quilted quilt I made.
My maternal grandmother also made this quilt. It is all double knit scraps, mostly scraps left from the clothes my mom made for herself and me. Some are scraps from other sewing family members. I think most all our clothes in the 70's were double knit!
I like the traditional, hand quilted quilts but I like these scrap versions just as much too.
I think I am fortunate to come from a family with a sewing history.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Rhonda! You have the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow if you ask me! I would have loved to own a quilt my grandmother or great grandmother made. They are true treasures!!! You have four generations of quilts in your house adding your own and your mother's to that. That is a special treasure for you to continue passing on. I have no children but hope I can pass mine on to my niece's kids and that they will cherish them.

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, you are so sweet and I do agree with you that I have a pot of gold!
    I had never realized that I have 4 generations of quilts. Nina has made at least 2 simple quilts too. So if I ever get one of hers, I will have quilts made by 5 generations. That will be really special and unusual.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.