Friday, November 30, 2007

Homemade taco seasoning


I found this recipe several years ago and use it almost exclusively when we have Mexican food. I use it for tacos, taco soup and chili. It has a great flavor and has way less salt than the purchased kind. It also is MSG free, MSG puts me to sleep and so many packaged mixes have loads of it them.

I multiply this recipe times 8 so you use 1/2 cup of chili powder and it makes all the measuring easy. Just layer the ingredients into a container and shake to mix. I use about 1 heaping tablespoon for a pound of meat.
Taco Seasoning 1 (from AllRecipes.com)

1/2 cup chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons sea salt (I just use regular salt)
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons black pepper (I just use about 1 tablespoon)

I buy most all spices at Dollar Tree, Big Lots and Walmart. I have tried the expensive name-brand ones and the only ones expensive one I think is better is cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.