Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Year of Savings - homebaked treats


It's been awhile since I did a year of savings post. So here goes.

I baked a batch of chocolate chip muffins today to have for dessert after the vegetable beef soup we had for supper.
I put enough of them for tonight and tomorrow in the cake dome that I usually keep on the counter.
I also packed some to put in the freezer for next week's brown bag lunches. I just put them in sandwich bags and they will be fine in the freezer for a short time. If I was going to freeze them longer, I would package them with more protection, either in freezer style bags or sealed in Tupperware.

The cost of flour, eggs, sugar, chocolate chips and butter have all increased but it is almost always still cheaper to bake at home than to buy already prepared treats.

Chocolate Chip Muffins
5 T melted butter
2/3 C sugar
1 t vanilla
1/4 t salt
1 C sour cream - I use low-fat sour cream
1 large egg
3/4 t baking soda
3/4 t baking powder
1 1/2 C flour
3/4 C mini chocolate chips (I only had regular chocolate chips so I chopped the regular ones with a hand chopper and I think I like them even better this way)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine butter, sugar, vanilla, salt, sour cream and egg. Stir well.
Stir in baking soda, baking powder and flour until well combined.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Fill paper lined or greased muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake for 18-22 minutes or until done.
Makes 14-18 muffins.

2 comments:

  1. Those look great!

    I've given you a blog award. Please come over and check it out.

    http://nessatxmom.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-won-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look SO pretty in that cake plate and in the baggies! I'll remember that for the future.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.