Saturday, August 16, 2008

French Puffs

French Puffs - from the Betty Crocker Cookbook my mom gave me when I got married in 1980

1 egg
1 Cup milk
1/4 Cup vegetable oil
1/3 Cup sugar
2 Cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 t salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease well 12 regular muffin cups.
Beat egg, stir in oil and milk.
Stir in dry ingredients just until flour is moistened - batter will be a little lumpy.
Fill muffin cups (use an ice cream or cookie dough scoop if you have one)
Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Immediately remove from pan and roll all then muffins generously in
1 Stick melted butter, then in
1/2 Cup sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon

I have been baking these all of my married life. Jeff and all the kids say this is one of their favorite things for breakfast. I like them when I am craving doughnuts but don't want to drive to a doughnut shop.

They are cheap, quick and very easy to make.
Their downside is they not so so healthy and they are best when freshly made. They are not a do-ahead kind of recipe at all.

See more thrifty recipes at the Grocery Cart Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Those look so good!!! I will be giving these a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these this morning. Yum!
    I was wondering how they'd do with wheat flour to make them healthier.
    Hubby said he thought they'd be good as savory muffins with cheddar and jalapenos. Worth a try! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny,

    Glad to hear you liked your French Puffs.
    I am sure you can make this recipe with whole wheat flour.
    It is a good basic muffin recipe and the savory version you described should work just fine.

    let me know when you make them?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.