Monday, August 11, 2008

My version of Jalapeno Poppers

We are jalapeno fans and we like jalapeno poppers a lot. We have tried wrapping them in bacon but the bacon does not cook crispy like we like it. So after several experiments, this is my favorite way to make and eat jalapeno poppers.
Take fresh jalapenos, cut them in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a grapefruit spoon.
This batch of jalapenos is from my brother, Rex's, garden. He has red and green jalapenos but they pretty much taste the same but the red ones are really pretty.

I also use grated cheddar cheese and bacon that has been chopped, cooked and drained.
Put a few pieces of bacon in each jalapeno. Then top with a big pinch of cheddar. Don't put in too much cheese or it will leak out when it cooks. Just try to put in as much as will melt down and fill each pepper.

I line the baking pan with foil so I don't have a baked-on cheesy mess to scrub afterwards.

Bake at 325 for about 20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes.

Then, serve them to your family!

6 comments:

  1. This looks really good. :-) Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poppers look so good. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
    Barbara/MO

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering...really! Those look so good. Too bad I'm on Nutrisystem! I love Jalepeno Poppers too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so yummy. Are they really hot? I would like to try them as I think Jos would enjoy them. I am not even sure I can get the peppers but will have to look.

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi,
    jalapenos vary but they are not usually real hot. Not hot like haberneros, but more spicy than bell peppers.
    I think cooking them makes them even milder too.

    But I grew up in Texas eating spicy food and I loved the California Mexican food when we lived there. So what I think is just right, other people might think is too hot.

    If you can get some jalapenos in Holland, just try a few to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We grow these peppers as well. I make jelly with them and they use them for nachos and cheese. Just last week I was saying I needed to find a recipe for thsi very thing!! They look SO good.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.