Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Year of Savings - air drying clothes



It's has been a while but I plan on posting some new year of savings ideas.
I don't have an outdoor clothes line for several reasons.
One is because the wind blows so hard and constant in Oklahoma that laundry could easily disappear. (And losing your laundry is certainly not a frugal)
Another is because I am not fond of the stiffness that line-dried laundry has. Most people that line-dry their laundry love the fresh-air smell it takes on too. But I just don't like the way it smells.
Clothes dryers can be very hard on clothes and are expensive to run.
I use a happy-medium that works for us.
Most laundry gets put in the dryer for about 10 minutes and then I hang the clothes on hangers in doorways to finish drying. Smaller things and sweaters finish drying on a rack. Running them in a dryer for a few minutes really seems to help avoid wrinkles and add some softness.
Jeans usually get started on the drying rack, then I put them in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them.
Towels and sheets get the full drying cycle.



1 comment:

  1. I've not been doing too well with air drying our clothes, but you sure are doing a great job of it. I do have a clothesline, but its been SO windy here, its very hard to hang them and then they get wrapped around the line! LOL I also have a nice drying rack and like to hang clothes from the washing machine on hangers. Good idea about drying them for a few minutes to soften them and help with wrinkles. I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.