Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Quaker Sampler

I used to do a lot of counted cross stitch but have not done any big projects in years. I recently found this free, printable Quaker sampler on a French site and am really enjoying working on it.

The pattern is 4 pages and really easy to read.

I am stitching mine in all black thread so it is really simple, no different symbols for different colors. I bought the big piece of Aida cloth at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.

So far, I have used one entire skein of black DMC embroidery floss.
I had never heard of a Quaker sampler until I came across this one. According to some of the cross-stitch blogs I have read, Quaker samplers are really popular and are usually stitched in just one color, like red or blue or black, or with variegated thread.
I don't know the reason, but this alphabet does not have the letter "J" Does anyone know why?


If you want to print this pattern, or some other free counted cross stitch patterns, this is the site

The site is in French but has lots of pictures and I had no trouble looking at her beautiful projects. She also sells patterns and offers about 6 free ones.

10 comments:

  1. So pretty. I love to stitch.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and what a keepsake it'll be when your finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps it is based on the Welsh alphabet that does not have a J. Just guessing here! It's beautiful. I can't wait to see it finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your project looks nice! I like to cross stitch and have done a little lately, not as pretty as yours though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I forgot to add--I have no idea about the J--That is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I embroider and cross-stitch but not the counted, just printed. Yours looks divine. Do you use single thread or 2 or 3?
    You have a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, I am using 2 threads on 14 count. I think 3 would be fine too.

    Thanks for the compliment :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's very pretty! I love embroidery of all kinds and am always meaning to do some. I've started a few but I never seem to be able to finish one!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your embroidery is very pretty in black, with an old-time look. What will you do with it? make into a pillow or frame it. Thanks for the link to the pattern. I would not have thought of looking at a French site. Grace

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.