Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Taboli or Tabbouleh or Tabouli?

In the middle east, cracked wheat salad is called tabbouleh.
The kind we eat is an Oklahoma made product and it's brand name is Taboli.
The mix I buy is made in Bristow Oklahoma and is sold in the produce section of every local grocery store.
But whatever you call it, it is a really nice salad. I like the already-flavored mix in a bag. It soaks in water, oil and I add a little lemon juice to soften. Then I add a chopped cucumber and onion and a couple of tomatoes.
Bishop Taboli also sells plain cracked wheat and you can your own seasonings.
Most every Oklahoma potluck meal includes a bowl of Taboli. I like to make a bowl of it and keep in the fridge. It goes great with sandwiches and as a salad with dinner.
The ingredients

the finished Taboli

Have you ever had Taboli? and if so, what is called where you live?

9 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this much less had it, but it sure does sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was lived in Florida, they used to sell it at the grocery deli. I don't remember ever really eating it though. I think it was called Tabbouleh there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in NC, and have had it with my Egyptian friends. We have a new Lebanese restaurant in town and they also serve a different version. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where in town do you get the tabouli cracked wheat? I love tabouli, so I guess I spell it tabouli and I am from Oklahoma. So, I guess I will have to pay attention when I order somewhere to see how they spell it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Nina's old co-worker by the way I guess I should have left my name!

    Kyla

    kyokstate@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kyla
    nice to hear from you!
    I get it at Walmart, the one on Perkins road, it is in produce section and I think it was near the end of an aisle near the bakery, maybe on the other side of the tomatoes.
    Hope this helps - and it is spelled taboli on the bag,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rhonda,

    Here in the Chicago area, it's either tabouleh or tabouli. We get the authentic stuff from a middle-eastern restaurant here. Has fresh parsley in it & is so good. I've also made it at home using bulgur, etc. (Not a mix.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made this in a long time, but I love it. I occasionally pick some up at the grocery deli, as my husband won't eat it.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great recipe! I love taboli although I don't get to eat it very much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.