Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A year of savings Day 22 - freezer paper

I usually get the best buys on meat when they are sold in big packages. I ran out of freezer bags a few months ago and needed to split and wrap some meat to freeze. I remembered I had this package of freezer paper that I bought a few years ago for a quilting applique project.
Freezer paper is now my first choice when packaging things for the freezer.
The box is pretty big and won't fit in the same drawer as the aluminum foil and wax paper, it has to live on the top shelf of the pantry. Freezer paper does a great job of freezer-burn protection. I am not an environmental expert, but I am guessing that freezer paper is easier on the environment than plastic bags too.
I bought 7 pounds of ground sirloin for $2 a pound today. I froze 5 pounds of it and used 2 pounds for a double recipe of porcupine meatballs that are baking in the oven right now.

1 comment:

  1. What a great price on ground sirloin! No wonder you stocked up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.