Saturday, September 13, 2008

Menus for Sept 15-22





I am still trying to use up that 20 pound bag of potatoes, FYI - unless you have a bigger family than I do to cook for, don't buy 20 pounds of potatoes at once.

Monday

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Ingredients:
6 cups raw potatoes, cut into small cubes
1 medium onion, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. cooked ham, cubed
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I will use Velveeta because I don't like how cheddar gets grainy in sauces)

Directions:
1. Layer potatoes, onion, 1 tsp. salt and ham into slow cooker.
2. Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour and 1 tsp. salt. Cook until
bubbly. Gradually add milk. Cook until smooth and thickened. Add
cheese and stir until melted. Pour over potato-ham mixture, stirring
lightly.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 5-7 hours, or High 3-4 hours. ( I will probably bake it in the oven at 350 for an hour or so)

Tuesday
SouthWest Taco Pie - a Pampered Chef Recipe
Crust:
1/4 c. + 1 tbsp cornmeal
3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Filling:
1 lb lean ground beef (I will use ground turkey that I got on sale last week)
1 c. chunky salsa
1 c shredded co-jack cheese
1 c. shredded lettuce
1/2 c. chopped tomato
1/4 c. sliced black olives (optional!)
sour cream, for garnish

Preheat oven to 450. Lightly spray 9" stoneware pie plate with vegetable oil. Sprinkle 1 tbsp cornmeal evenly on bottom and sides on pie plate. Combine the remaining cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Add milk and oil, stir with fork until mixture forms a ball. Roll out to create crust, shape into pie plate.

For filling, brown ground beef, drain. Stir in salsa. Spoon beef mixture into pie crust; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown & cheese is melted. Top pie with lettuce, tomato and olives. Garnish with sour cream & additional salsa, if you'd like.

Wednesday
Pillsbury's Smothered Chicken - served on mashed potatos

Thursday
Pinto Beans and Cornbread

Friday
Spaghetti with homemade sauce from the freezer

From what I am writing down, it looks like I will be doing nothing but cooking this weekend. I planned plenty of desserts and meals because my in-laws will be in town for the weekend. But I don't know which meals they will be here for so I planned something big for every meal but will only cook a lot when I am sure they will be here. And we will probably eat out some but I just want to be ready for whatever.

Weekend desserts
Key Lime Pie tarts
chewy chocolate chip cookies This is a recipe for Meredith @ Like Merchant Ships
Pound cake with lemon glaze

Saturday
Breakfast
bacon, eggs, and toast

lunch
Taco Ring - another Pampered Chef recipe

Supper
Barbecued chicken with baked potatoes


Sunday
breakfast
bacon, eggs, biscuits

lunch
Roast beef with carrots and potatoes

supper
Chicken and Black bean chili

5 comments:

  1. Just for your information mashed potatoes freeze well IF you don't put butter and milk on them.... I often freeze mashed potatoes by mashing and putting into small containers..Then cover them with crumpled waxed paper ( apparently this stops the frost from forming on the potatoes ), then freeze as normal.
    Louise in Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could make potato soup if you have any left after this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The taco ring is so good, isn't it! You can shred some potatoes and make hash brown casserole! SO good, it's a regular around my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really like these potatoes from Hillbilly Housewife - Spicy Oven Fried Potato Wedges. They are especially good with hamburgers and/or hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelia, I looked up your recipe for the oven potato wedges, they use the same spices as I do in for my oven fries except I add 1 teaspoon of sugar and don't use the flour that Hillbilly Housewife calls for.
    they are delicious too.

    Thanks too for the tips about mashed potatoes for the freezer, hash brown casserole and potato soup. I like all of those ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.