Thursday, June 25, 2009

Theme Thursday - Summer

In picture above, my Uncle Cecil, Grandpa and cousin Kenneth
When I think of summer, this week's word for Theme Thursday, I think of how hard farmers work in the summer. My grandparents and uncles were all farmers, mostly growing wheat. They had other crops like hay and grains and of course they raised cattle, for eating and for their milk, and pigs for eating and chickens.Add Image
These are some very old pictures, probably in the late 1930s or very early 40's. Considering I am the granddaughter of farmers and I lived in country for 11 years, I know very little about farming. But I am sure that in this picture, it shows bales of hay on a trailer behind a tractor.




Grandpa - after working on the farm all day

Grandma - I am guessing she has been out working in her vegetable garden or tending to her chickens.


After a long work day, Grandma and Grandpa loved to play cards or dominoes.
My mom is the young girl on the left in this picture.

Grandpa and Grandma - all dressed up, I would guess this for church or maybe a wedding.

11 comments:

  1. nice pics. love old black and whites. have spent time ont he tractor in the summer and its a scorcher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I just love old family pictures! Farming is hard work...even with all the modern conveniences. Your grandparents were hard workers! They're a cute couple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics and wonderful memories - thanks for sharing with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing old pictures! Farmers do work hard all the time - thanks for sharing your memories!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  5. my first visit to your blog. i like the tribute to farmers. my father's father was a farmer. he died when i was 5 so i barely remember him. but my dad loved the farm. there's a great line towards the end of "The Natural" where Wilford Brimley says "my dad told me I should be a farmer" and Robert Redford replies "...there's somethin' about a farm" etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow- great photos! I love looking at older photos and finding out the stories behind them. These were fantastic and I'm so glad you shared them! Also glad to have run across your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. THese pictures remind me of my Mama and Daddy. Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs,
    Susan in SC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool photos. I spent several summers tossing bales of hay. It is better than going to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be good if all children could be raised on a farm such as I was in these pictures. I give thanks for my Mama and Daddy as well as 2 sisters and three brothers who filled my life with abundant love. My oldest son once compared "going to Grandma and Grandpa's farm to Disneyland". Those hot and very busy summer days have been on my mind this June as it is wheat harvest time, the highlight of the year for farmers like my Daddy. Thanks, Rhonda, for sharing these very old photos. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE these old photos...especially the first ones with the tractors. The sepia color is so perfect! I've enjoyed checking out your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending some time and leaving a comment at A Home With A Smile.