One of my resolutions for 2008 is to use up as much of the random fabric in my stash and turn it into useful items. Our laundry room needed a new rug and this project used up a lot of fabric. I started with a 2 yard length of dark green canvas and used a double layer of it for the base. I drew lines about every 1.5 inches for the sewing guide.
The rows are 4 inch squares of mostly plaids. I ironed them all in half before sewing them. Then I used sewed each row, overlapping the triangles about every inch or so and reversing their direction in the center so there would be fringe on all sides.
The entire project took about 5 hours.
This rug is thick and should really collect lots of dirt off of shoes. Theo likes it too.